Tuesday 18 June 2013

Not in MY newsfeed!

Are you sick of the latest "Exciting News! We're brain dead and can only copy and paste rather than construct actual sentences for ourselves" post from designers on Facebook? The one that says "Hey, we can now advertise to you all day long on Facebook"??

Well, here's the thing. I'm on Facebook to catch up with family and friends and join in my groups. I'm sure I do my fair share of responding to external ads on the site and making money for Facebook but I'm not there as advertising fodder for the "I'm too thick to think of anything to say other than 'here's my new kit'" brigade. If you're sick of them too all you have to do is hover over the "liked" button on their newsfeed and uncheck the "Show in Newsfeed" option. You can then add them to an interest list if you like. I have a Digi Designers list. It's public, you can see it here (you don't have to make your lists public). I look at it several times a week when it suits me, not when it suits them.

It's up to you what you see in your newsfeed, not up to the people whose pages you like!


If you want to hear the latest news and get freebies from your favourite designers you can simply sign up to their newsletter. Make sure you use one of your junk emails. I have one that I only use for newsletters and suchlike. Never give any store your private email addy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you! That's exactly what I do and if I have a designer show up on my newsfeed I get tht corrected right away. If I let them all come through on my newsfeed I couldn't wade through it all! Thanks for giving out good information.

    ReplyDelete